For those who are interested in using nootropics, or “smart drugs” as they’re often called, the first question that comes up is: What are nootropics? The word is short for “nootropic cognitive enhancers” which describe substances that enable your brain to function better. The Best Nootropics can be taken orally or administered through injections and pills.
Nootropics can be used to improve memory, concentration, reaction time and creativity. In today’s world of increasingly complex jobs and constant multitasking it’s important for people to seek out tools that will help them excel in their fields so we have put together a list of the best-rated nootropics on the market today.
Why they’re Good for You
Many of the nootropics listed here are used to treat different types of brain conditions. The most well-known is Modafinil (Provigil) which is used for treating narcolepsy and shift work sleep disorder. Adrafinil, a weaker version of Modafinil, is used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Aniracetam is a derivative of Piracetam (Nootropic Extreme) that’s taken to treat anxiety disorders such as generalized anxiety disorder, panic attacks and PTSD. Those who want extra energy or motivation can take Caffeine which has been shown to increase alertness in some people.
What Are The Best Nootropic Supplements?
Based on the reviews we have seen online, here is our list of the best-rated nootropic supplements:
- Nootropic Extreme – This is our favorite “smart pill” because it contains 19 essential vitamins and minerals that support mental clarity and increased energy.
- Provigil – This is a prescription drug used to treat narcolepsy, shift work sleep disorder and excessive daytime sleepiness.
- Piracetam – This nootropic has been used for more than 40 years to treat memory and learning problems such as age-related memory loss, but it makes you drowsy so it’s best to take it during the day.
- Aniracetam – This nootropic has been shown to boost mental endurance, improve mood and enhance verbal fluency which can be helpful for those with social anxiety disorder.
- Modafinil – Not only does this pill help you stay awake when needed, but it can also get rid of headaches and social phobias.
- Caffeine Powder – This is a popular stimulant that will improve your alertness and give you energy for up to eight hours.
- Ginkgo Biloba – This herb can improve your memory, mental alertness and fluid intelligence.
How Do Nootropics Work?
The exact way nootropics work is still unknown. According to the journal of neuropsychopharmacology, it’s likely that they work by affecting neurotransmitters like dopamine and glutamate which are important for learning and memory. They may also widen blood vessels which increase oxygen levels in the brain so you feel more alert when taking them.